Friday, February 1, 2019

What's that thing called???

As my work continues on my Lacet Table Runner it becomes clear that toward the end, I'm going to have to weigh my thread to make sure I have enough to finish.  The only problem is that there's that darn cardboard cylinder in the middle of the balls of crochet cotton thread that will obviously skew the number of grams I have left.  So I did what we all do these days when we need information ... I googled it and ...

NOTHING!

I could not find anything that came close to giving me suggestions for how much that cardboard weighed.  Perhaps it is in part because no one seems to know what the blasted thing is called.  Here are some suggestions I've heard from my post in the Official CCC Social Group on Facebook: Sleeve, core, cone, cylinder, spool.  Well, I don't know what it's called but now I have three empty ones to know how much they weigh.

Naturally, when I couldn't find the weight anywhere online, I decided that I would have to find a use for the four other balls of crochet cotton that have been collecting dust on my shelf.  No, literally ...

    (Gross!)

No way I wanted to make something else with thread, but I decided that I could quickly crochet something holding three strands at once.  My daughter has been wanting socks for her kitty Tasha (a TY Beanie Boo), so I figured this would work out ok.  I've cleverly named them Tash Socks (get it yarny people?) and the pattern is available here

So I have made four socks, a leash, and now a scarf out of partial balls of crochet cotton.



Which has now been stolen by this cute thing.

Anyway, now to the important stuff ... here are my findings about the cardboard cylinder at the center of the crochet cotton:


The Aunt Lydia's Classic 10 weighs 20-21g and the Hobby Lobby Artiste weighs 33g.  Obviously for either of them, that would be the equivalent to ALOT of yards of thread.  So now we know have a little bit better idea of an average cardboard cylinder.  I will continue to add information for averages as I have more cylinders or get measurements from you all!

Until the next time, may the stitch counts be ever in your favor... 

Update: Upon weighing another tube that I just finished, we have another Aunt Lydia's tube that weighs 20g.



No comments:

Post a Comment